Asset Protection Tools For Business Owners
In this episode, John continues his series on the Wealth Curve Blueprint, this time focusing on asset protection. He reveals two key tools small business owners need to protect their business and personal assets.
John is the author of 5 Ways Your Wealth is Under Attack. He has lectured at various educational institutions such as John Hopkins, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley and UNC Chapel Hill. He has consecutively received the Five StarSM Wealth Manager Award since 2011, and is the former president and chairman of the Rotary Club of Red Bank Foundation.
John’s strength lies in his ability and commitment to continually improve the level and quality of the financial planning process. His macro view approach and dedication to his clients’ growth involves an evolving strategy that strives to meet the demands, desires, and needs of his clients in a continually changing economic environment.
Don’t miss John’s key points on asset protection:
- You are your business’s most important asset, so you need to protect your business and your personal assets in the event of your disability.
- A business overhead policy pays all of your business’s overhead expenses while you’re disabled so that you can keep on your staff and keep things operating at the right level.
- You may have unknowingly signed personal guarantees that put your personal assets at risk if your business experiences trouble.
- Long-term leases, with elevators, frequently include personal guarantees.
- Bank loans often have covenants and restrictions with personal guarantees.
- Whether you work alone or with one or more partners or employees, you need a buy-sell agreement.
- This document spells out how the owner’s (or owners’) assets and shares are transferred upon their death, disability, or retirement—or according to their activity level.
- It establishes an appropriate valuation methodology and makes sure it is properly funded.
For more details on asset protection for business owners, listen above. I’ll go more in-depth into valuation methodology in a future podcast. In the meantime, schedule your Wealth Curve Conversation here, on any of the social media platforms, or call 800-797-1000 so that we can start on your Wealth Curve Blueprint and Scorecard.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Are you ready to increase your profit growth by 25%? John will show you how in the 2018 Business Owner’s Guide To Maximizing Your Benefits From The 2017 Tax Cuts.
Click here to get your complimentary copy.
New Jersey | New York | Connecticut