Disability Insurance: You Are Your Most Important Asset
In this episode, John continues his series on the Wealth Curve Blueprint. This time he reviews disability insurance, which is vital for everyone to have.
John is the author of 5 Ways Your Wealth is Under Attack. He has lectured on financial planning at various faculties. He has also received the Five StarSM Wealth Manager Award for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
John’s strength is his ability and commitment to improve the level and quality of the financial planning process.
His dedication to his clients’ growth involves an evolving strategy. His focus is to meet the demands, desires, and needs of his clients in a changing economic environment.
Here are John’s key takeaways:
- Disability insurance protects the most important asset in your entire financial plan. It protects your ability to earn income.
- Most people believe that disability is not going to happen to them, but…
- One in four 22 year olds will become disabled prior to retirement.
- Also, many early retirements are a result of disability.
- Short-term and long-term disability claims are driven by such common things as pregnancy; musculoskeletal conditions; fractures, strains and sprains; hernias & gastritis; depression & anxiety; and tumors—including cancerous ones.
- It’s important to get the maximum amount of coverage now. If you are disabled, the trajectory of your life and your family’s life can change drastically. You may need care, and you may need to rethink such things as your kids’ college education and your retirement.
- If you optimize your financial plan, you can increase your tax savings and decrease some of your inefficiencies. You can then redirect that money to a disability plan.
- Further, you also may be able to obtain disability coverage through your employer, but check the rates and the terms.
- Lastly, you may not always need it: once your assets reach a certain level, you may be able to discontinue your disability coverage.
For more, listen above. Call us at 732-542-1565 and schedule a time to come in. We can create a Disability Simulation Report for you with very minimal information. Also create your Wealth Curve Blueprint and Scorecard. These are all important ways to continually review and update your financial plan, and keep it optimized.
Looking forward to hearing from you.