Employer Matching Gift Programs: How To Not Leave Money On The Table
Welcome to the Wealth Curve Talk Podcast. In this episode, John continues his series on the Wealth Curve Blueprint. This time he discusses employer matching programs, which are an important part of your savings rate.
John’s strength is his ability and commitment to improve the level and quality of the financial planning process.
Don’t miss these key takeaways:
- Many people are missing out on their employer’s matching contribution to their retirement plan.
- A company match means that if you put $3 into your retirement plan, your employer will match it with a $3 contribution. Or they may match 3% for 3%—the rates or amounts depend on the plan’s design.
- That match in contribution is part of your compensation package from your company.
- If your company offers a 3% match, but you only put away 1.5% of your salary, you’re missing out on 1.5% of your salary saved towards your retirement.
- You may plan to only work 2 or 3 years for your present employer, but you may end up staying five. If you didn’t contribute to the matching program during that time, you’ll miss out. And that’s almost regardless of the plan’s vesting schedule.
Taking full advantage of your employer’s matching contributions plan is part of getting your financial plan on an optimal track. It goes along with getting you out of credit card debt. It is also increasing your liquid savings, and getting your lifestyle costs and taxes under control.
Come in and let us build your Wealth Curve Blueprint and Scorecard. We’ll help you get a new perspective on your wealth plan, develop strategies to optimize your plan…and get the most out of that employer match.
For more, listen above.
If you are new to Smallwood Wealth schedule a Wealth Curve Conversation here.
Or call us at 732-542-1565. Looking forward to hearing from you.