EMPLOYER MATCHING PROGRAMS
Welcome to the Wealth Curve Talk Podcast, in which John Smallwood, a certified financial planner, identifies key areas of pressure on your wealth and strategizes with you to reduce it.
In this episode, John continues his series on the Wealth Curve Blueprint. This time he discusses employer matching programs, which are an important part of your savings rate.
John is the author of 5 Ways Your Wealth is Under Attack. He has lectured at various educational institutions such as John Hopkins, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley and UNC Chapel Hill. He has consecutively received the Five StarSM Wealth Manager Award since 2011, and is the former president and chairman of the Rotary Club of Red Bank Foundation.
John’s strength lies in his ability and commitment to continually improve the level and quality of the financial planning process. His macro view approach and dedication to his clients’ growth involves an evolving strategy that strives to meet the demands, desires, and needs of his clients in a continually changing economic environment.
Don’t miss these key takeaways:
- Many people are missing out on their employer’s matching contribution to their retirement plan.
- A company match means that if you put $3 into your retirement plan, your employer will match it with a $3 contribution. Or they may match 3% for 3%—the rates or amounts depend on how the plan is designed.
- That match in contribution is part of your compensation package from your company.
- If your company offers a 3% match, but you only put away 1.5% of your salary, you’re missing out on 1.5% of your salary saved towards your retirement.
- You may plan to only work 2 or 3 years for your present employer, but you may end up staying five. If you didn’t contribute to the matching program during that time, you’ll miss out, almost regardless of the plan’s vesting schedule.
Taking full advantage of your employer’s matching contributions plan is part of getting your financial plan on an optimal track. It goes along with getting you out of credit card debt, increasing your liquid savings, and getting your lifestyle costs and taxes under control.
Come in and let us build your Wealth Curve Blueprint and Scorecard. We’ll help you get a new perspective on your wealth plan, develop strategies to optimize your plan…and get the most out of that employer match.
For more, listen above. Then schedule a time to come in and talk to us. Call us at 732-542-1565. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Are you ready to increase your profit growth by 25%? John will show you how in the 2018 Business Owner’s Guide To Maximizing Your Benefits From The 2017 Tax Cuts.
Click here to get your complimentary copy.
New Jersey | New York | Connecticut