Funding Your Retirement
In this episode, John discusses safe rates of withdrawal from your portfolio and emphasizes the importance of diversifying your sources of retirement income.
John is the author of 5 Ways Your Wealth is Under Attack. He has lectured extensively on financial planning. He has received the Five StarSM Wealth Manager Award for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
John’s strength lies in his ability and commitment to continually improve the level and quality of the financial planning process. His dedication to his clients’ growth involves an evolving strategy that strives to meet the demands, desires, and needs of his clients in a continually changing economic environment.
Don’t miss John’s key points:
- Plan for retirement with the goal of sustaining your current lifestyle.
- A good thought exercise is to take your current retirement savings and figure out how long it will last you based on your current spending. Five years? Ten years? You’ll need to adjust accordingly.
- Recommended withdrawal rates have gotten lower and lower, but even a 2.5% rate of withdrawal may not last the full 30 or 40 years of your retirement. And how much money would that be to live on every year?
- Experts have proposed safe withdrawal rates based on historical market rates of return, but have not taken into account market volatility.
- The sequence of returns in any given market will dictate how successful your withdrawal rate is.
- You need to have numerous income streams for retirement.
- Pensions and Social Security are not 100% guaranteed.
- One of the biggest reasons people run out of money in retirement is when the market goes down they’re forced into withdrawals from their portfolio. When the market recovers, they have fewer shares with which to generate income.
- At least 25% to 30% of your retirement income should be liquid, and should not be correlated to the market. Examples are government bonds and whole life insurance.
John wants to help you find ways to fund your retirement from multiple sources, and he will help you figure out your best withdrawal rate. He works to optimize your plan each year so that you won’t have just one retirement plan for thirty years, you’ll have thirty one-year retirement plans tailored for you! Make an appointment here or by calling 732-542-1565.
Are you ready to increase your profit growth by 25%? John will show you how in the 2018 Business Owner’s Guide To Maximizing Your Benefits From The 2018 Tax Cuts.
Click here to get your complimentary copy.
New Jersey | New York | Connecticut