Establish The Right Lifestyle Rate
Welcome to the Wealth Curve Talk Podcast. In this episode, John continues his series on the Wealth Curve Blueprint. This time he discusses your lifestyle rate and how it works with the other parts of your wealth plan.
John is the author of 5 Ways Your Wealth is Under Attack and It’s Your Wealth – Keep It.” He has lectured extensively on financial planning and is a recipient of the Five StarSM Wealth Manager Award.
John’s strength lies in his ability and commitment to continually improve the level and quality of the financial planning process. His macro view approach and dedication to his clients’ growth involves an evolving strategy that strives to meet the demands, desires, and needs of his clients in a continually changing economic environment.
Don’t miss John’s takeaways:
- The most important items for creating wealth are (1) your savings rate, (2) your lifestyle, and (3) your taxes.
- Your lifestyle is the net of your income, savings, and payments for your housing, insurance, taxes, and all other regular expenses.
- If you carry credit card debt, your lifestyle rate is too high.
- Establishing the right burn rate for your lifestyle means that you will be able to accumulate more money now, and be able to keep up your lifestyle rate in the future.
- When projecting your retirement lifestyle, don’t forget that inflation, technological change, and planned obsolescence will increase future costs.
- Your lifestyle rate needs to be constantly reviewed to make sure it’s at the right ratio. If it is around 40% you will find it hard to save and to meet your future goals. You are putting your wealth at risk.
- Your lifestyle rate should be optimal for your enjoyment and protection. That means you should calculate your opportunity costs. Are you getting enough value for the money you spend? You may be able to shave off a couple of hundred dollars a month for things that aren’t bringing you enough enjoyment, protection, or any other benefit.
A small adjustment can have a big effect. If you can shift 10% of your lifestyle rate to your savings rate, you will see an enormous change in trajectory that will benefit your future.
If you are new to Smallwood Wealth schedule a Wealth Curve Conversation here.
Let us build your Wealth Curve Blueprint and Scorecard. We’ll take a look at your lifestyle rate and see whether you need to make any changes.
For more, listen above. Then schedule a time to talk to us.
Call us at 732-542-1565.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download