Umbrella Insurance: How To Protect Your Assets
In this episode, John continues his series on the Wealth Curve Blueprint. This time he reviews umbrella insurance policies, which are the first step in protecting your assets.
John is the author of 5 Ways Your Wealth is Under Attack. He has lectured at various educational institutions such as John Hopkins, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley and UNC Chapel Hill. He has consecutively received the Five StarSM Wealth Manager Award since 2011, and is the former president and chairman of the Rotary Club of Red Bank Foundation.
John’s strength lies in his ability and commitment to continually improve the level and quality of the financial planning process. His macro view approach and dedication to his clients’ growth involves an evolving strategy that strives to meet the demands, desires, and needs of his clients in a continually changing economic environment.
Don’t miss John’s important points:
- Step one in any asset protection program is getting umbrella liability coverage.
- An umbrella policy gives you higher limits of liability on your house and car, but also covers things unrelated to them.
- For example, let’s say you’re at the mall. Once inside, you trip somebody down the steps, and they decide to sue you. In this case, an umbrella policy can help protect your assets.
- Let’s say you’re texting and driving and as a result run a red light and hit someone. An umbrella policy will help you face that lawsuit for negligence.
- Without this coverage, your income is at risk. Are you a high-income earner? If you have accumulated a lot of cash, that cash, your non-qualified brokerage accounts, and your non-IRA assets could be at risk.
- Every asset that is not “credit proof” or “collection proof” (which legally cannot be seized in the event of bankruptcy, divorce, or a civil suit) is at risk.
- It is key to have the maximum umbrella coverage for your net worth.
When we build your Wealth Curve Blueprint, you can look at your umbrella liability as a function of your income and your net wealth. But if you don’t have the right amount of coverage, you have no time to build it up. Your protection must be maxed today. If you’re not covered today, and a problem happens tomorrow, you can’t go back and get a redo.
For more, listen above. Schedule a time to come in and talk to us. It’s urgent! Call us at 732-542-1565.