Wills And Trusts: All You Need To Know For Protection
In this episode, John continues his series on the Wealth Curve Blueprint, this time focusing on the protections offered by wills, trusts, and similar documents. Properly setting up a will or trust is one of the key components of a successful long-term financial strategy.
John is the author of 5 Ways Your Wealth is Under Attack. He has lectured at various educational institutions such as John Hopkins, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley and UNC Chapel Hill. He has consecutively received the Five StarSM Wealth Manager Award since 2011, and is the former president and chairman of the Rotary Club of Red Bank Foundation.
John’s strength lies in his ability and commitment to continually improve the level and quality of the financial planning process. His macro view approach and dedication to his clients’ growth involves an evolving strategy that strives to meet the demands, desires, and needs of his clients in a continually changing economic environment.
Don’t miss John’s takeaways:
- The protection that wills and trusts offer is a strategic part of every financial plan.
- By 2026 when all of the income tax laws sunset and revert back to pre-Trump tax laws, so does the estate tax. Your will or trust needs to take that into account. You need to review it regularly.
- There is so much that goes into a proper trust:
- When and how should the money should be distributed?
- Can gifts be made?
- Can I use leveraged gifts?
- Can I retain control of those assets?
- What happens if my child inherits my money—but is going through a business problem or a divorce? Is that money protected from estate taxes?
- Your strategy depends upon so many factors:
- Who you are
- How much wealth you have
- How much life insurance you have
- Whether you’re starting a business, where that business is located, and how you own it
- How and where you own your assets
Every protection in your plan needs to be the best that it possibly can be for who you are. Each one needs to be updated on a regular basis, so that you’ve taken advantage of all of the opportunities that are available in the estate tax law.
For details, listen above. To set up a Wealth Curve Conversation and get your Blueprint and Scorecard made, click the “let’s get started” button. Call us at (800) 797-1000. You can connect with us on all the social media platforms, too. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Are you ready to increase your profit growth by 25%? John will show you how in the 2018 Business Owner’s Guide To Maximizing Your Benefits From The 2017 Tax Cuts.
Click here to get your complimentary copy.
New Jersey | New York | Connecticut